The Growth Journey: The Steps in Finding Professional and Personal Growth

As a kid before, we're used to being asked by our parents, family members, and even friends of our parents what we plan to become when we grow old. I remember saying I wanted to be a celebrity, or maybe a pilot, or a doctor, or a nurse, or a lawyer, or best yet a CEO of a company. We cite professional lives once we grow old (at least I did) all of which did not come true. However, several of our dreams and ambitions is quite nearly impossible to happen.

There is a great distinction between ambitions and dreams, and doing what you can do to achieve them. In the long run aside from the most common careers that we know as a child, there are a lot of careers available out there that we never heard of.

It is great when we can create alternative plans for our life, however one channel has really do opened up my sight in youtube at alux.com, that ambitions and dreams without doing it, is just "wishful thinking", and I can never more agree. It is not bad to make a dream, a goal, and a plan however, we tend to just make it as a dream with no intention of following it up, doing everything we can in to achieve our goals, and create more value and make things happen.

All of my teachers have always asked me of what will I become when I grow old, during that stages let's all admit we all have this dream of becoming a star, a celebrity, someone who people look up to, earn a lot through endorsements. I even tried the choir (which I very much unsuccessful) due to a lack of talent in singing (which later on can really be developed). I also tried dancing (which I did until I discovered Zumba as an exercise, and sometimes still do dance), and even acting (all it did to me was become a mascot on our play in high school wearing a very heavy carton made that looks like a book, indeed nothing special nor celebrity at all due to being very forgetful on my lines).  I was not even a n academic performer during my elementary and high school years in the Philippines.

However time really do change things. A sudden drop in financial status happened which made becoming a celebrity impossible. Let us just admit it there's one in a million chance one can become a celebrity, especially in our financial status. I have no money for workshops, or trainings (there are a lot of things you can do even without money) and trust me, the heaviest part is that I wanted to join a reality search in television before, the problem is that I am from the province, and going to the capital city would require adequate financial resources to cope up with the daily living expenses. With grades that low, no job, no money, and still a young age. I just have to give up on being one and create other opportunities or alternative for growth.

During the fourth year of my high school, I have then decided to shift my attention to what really matters and have decided to take up accountancy as my major course in college, despite the fact that I have small grades and its really quite impossible to achieve something out of it. But then my mind is set.

STEP 1: GOAL SETTING

It was then I realize I need to set up my own goal, a more realistic one and for that to happen I need to adjust a lot. From having a lot of time allocated to watching TV (during those times internet is scarce for the household and the social media platform we have was friendster), to more on studies. Upon reaching up college life I need to change my lifestyle and my priority.

I have no available resources to be at the big four universities in the country, I took up accountancy, and consider also that I am from a province, not from NCR (Metro Manila), should I need to find work in the Metro, I need to be competitive enough to ensure that I can land a job, suddenly reality struck me hard. It is advantageous when you are from the big four.

Adding to the pressure is the fact that I was not a good student during my high school and elementary years that people around me would not even believe that I have made my path, a path where only a few dare walk, the course itself Accountancy is dreaded during our time due to it being one of the most difficult college courses in the country. Hence I decided to make more steps.

STEP 2: CHALLENGE YOURSELF

The best enemy we can have in life is not our friends, our neighbour, our parents, or family, or people around us. Clearly the results that will come out of college is not made by them rather is made by ourselves. I have seen myself as my own enemy, this way the only one I compete with is myself. This has made my goal more clearer, and drove me to study more harder, more serious to achieve desired results. Clearly reality hits me. I only have ONE SHOT in reversing our financial situation, and it is not by doing monkey business or some sort of stuff that has no value at all. I have no time to monkey around, party around, and even gave myself a few time of rest.

STEP 3: CREATE PATHS OR STEPS TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS

A goal is nothing without action, it is just merely dreaming of what a future will hold. Dreams are dreams, it is free of charge, it does not and will not give you anything but hope that one day you will have a brighter future. Doing nothing will definitely be slacking off. The best thing to do is to to follow it through, list down all the possible things that you can do and create your path and develop your step by step process on how you can achieve your goals. This is to ensure that you will eliminate activities that are irrelevant in your goal to save time.

STEP 4: GO! AND ACT ON IT

Push through with your goal. After creating the steps and the path, you may want to act on it. If you need additional education then enroll on it, if you need to invest more time to develop your skills, then do so. Quiting is not an option, and when failures or challenges are ahead, never stop. You may fail a lot of times, but do not just rant or feel bad about it, rather pick-up the error, and learn from it. This will ensure that you will not commit the same mistake again, which is one key to success. Every successful people in the world has experience this, but they keep on standing up despite all the challenges and excelling in the things that they want to achieve.

STEP 5: EVALUATE

You may want to evaluate the results of your actions, have the objectives been met? Have you successfully done the steps? Have you learned a lot from the path that you have chosen? and what more can you do to achieve greater success in life?

These are the questions you should be asking in determining whether you have met what should be met. For a college student graduation, but what lies beyond graduation? career? entrepreneurship? You should be able to determine it. For the professionals who are currently at their work right now you may want to evaluate it not only in terms of promotions in the office but also on the metrics of how much you have learned out of your job position, have you tried anything different, have you resolved problems.


These are the steps I have applied in my life which made an impact. I am a work in progress, we all are.

I hope everyone will have a successful in life. No matter where you are, or what you are doing, may you find the strength and the inspiration to be a successful person making your own mark in your career, and see you achieve your aspirations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OPINION: Honda Philippines Plant Shutdown. Is there really what we call Job Security?

Great Ideas in Solving Life's Challenges

GETTING AN MBA DEGREE